Clinical Centre Klagenfurt
EU-wide open competition 2002: 1st prize [general planning together with Feichtinger ⋅ Müller-Klinger ⋅ FCP]
building award of Kärnten 2010 ⋅ nomination for the Mies van der Rohe Award 2011 ⋅ Building Developer’s Prize 2011
A 9020 Klagenfurt, Feschnigstraße 11
hospital, emergency department, basic diagnostics, imaging diagnostics, 14 operating rooms, intensive care units, intermediate care stations, special and standard care stations, logistics centre: Central Sterile Supply Department (CSSD), laboratory, pharmacy, kitchen, laundry, storage, transport logistics, approx. 154.000 m2 GFA
2002 – 2010
costs: EUR 327 million net [cost categories 1 – 6 according to ÖNORM B 1801.1] + EUR 54 million net [cost category 7 according to ÖNORM B 1801.1]
Photos: Gisela Erlacher, Hertha Hurnaus, Wolfgang Thaler
Following an EU-wide two-stage competition, the new „Klinikum Klagenfurt am Wörthersee“ was built from mid-2006 until mid-2011.
The functional and architectural concept is based on a redefinition of the concept of a regional hospital, emphasizing its topographic integration into the fluvial landscape along the river Glan, which has been moved by 200 metres in northern direction. Flat buildings, shaped according to their respective uses, and thematically adapted coloured courtyards with native tree and plant species integrate the landscape.
With regards to functional aspects, the new hospital is divided into the „Chirurgisch-Medizinisches Zentrum CMZ“ (surgical medical centre) and the „Ver-/Entsorgungszentrum“ (centre for supply and disposal). Along the courtyards, two east-west corridors – generously glazed thoroughfares – channel the patients, employees and visitors. Along the patients‘ thoroughfare in the northern part of the hospital, a chapel and an oratory are situated, forming a contrast to the hygienic materials and details through their sensitive design and warm materials. The altar, suspended from the ceiling, and a large-format glass picture of the Carinthian artist Karl Brandstätter decorate the chapel.
The dark grey metal skin of the building characterizes its sequences and constitutes the specific hotel character of the entirety of the construction – thus evading the immediate association with a hospital. Architectural monumentality was consciously avoided. The architecture is the background, convalescence is paramount and the landscape provides the frame for it.
The general planner is responsible for all planning processes, architecture, construction, free and green zones, traffic, transport and material logistics, medical technology, building technology, machinery and BauKG, together with 27 sub-planning partners under the lead of an internal project management and coordinated via a virtual project room.
The contracts for the execution were awarded after approximately 255 public, mostly EU-wide open tenders for construction, building technology, medical technology and logistics services – and without a general contractor: thereby, the control over quality remained in the hands of the developer and the general planner. The budget sum that has been audited by the Regional Court of Audit in 2005 and that is based on the cost calculation of the general planner was exceeded by approximately 5 % (only).